In this article, you will learn how to use the H5P Library Administration UI
For people not familiar with H5P libraries, we'll first clarify what an H5P library is. An H5P consists of content and one or several libraries, where:
- Libraries provide functionality and design.
- The content informs the libraries how to behave and what to display. It's typically texts, settings and media files.
A library can be runnable, but doesn't have to be. If it's runnable, it means you can create content using this library. If it isn't runnable, it's a utility library used by other libraries.
In addition, there is the concept of library dependencies. E.g. the Interactive Video library is dependent of the Video library, where the Video library is responsible for rendering the video and the Interactive Video is responsible for displaying all interactions on top of the video.
All of the below features are found using the H5P libraries admin menu entry on both Wordpress and Drupal.
- In Wordpress you'll find the library administration in wp-admin > H5P Content > Libraries.
- In Drupal you'll find the library administration in Administration > Content > H5P Libraries (usually displayed as a tab).
Get an overview of all installed libraries
The main H5P library admin page will list which version of a library is installed:
In addition to title and version, this list contains the following columns:
- Instances: Number of H5Ps created of this library. For non-runnable libraries, this number will always be zero.
- Instance dependencies: Number of H5Ps created with dependencies to the library
- Library dependencies: Number of libraries dependent of the library
- Actions: Buttons triggering library content upgrade, the detailed information view, and library deletion.
Get detailed info for each library
Earlier it was no way to find out which content is using which libraries. This is no longer a problem. Just click the info button for a library, and you will see the following page:
In addition to the information displayed on the top, this page contains a searchable/pageable list of all content using this library.
Upgrade or install library
An H5P file does not have to contain content. It is possible to create a library only H5P file, which means you get no example content when installing the H5P. But, you do get the editor capabilities, which make you able to create H5P content for a given library. On the main library admin page, we have added the ability to upload an H5P containing libraries only. I.e, if it contains content, we will ignore it, and install the libraries anyway.
How to install a new version of a library and upgrading existing content is explained here.
This action is only available if there are no content using the library and there are no other libraries dependent of the library.